Hello dear readers,
I am in need for a new work laptop, and would very much appreciate your help in buying one.
This will be my primary and only computer (I have a desktop but I never use it anymore). FYI, I’m located in Israel, where computers usually cost a lot more than the U.S, and it’s often difficult to get computers shipped from abroad.
- What do you think about buying it in the US and shipping it here via Mustop? (I used them before).
- Budget – I don’t really know the market prices, but I’d hate to pay more than about $2500-3000 for this (remember, Israel prices are higher than US!)
- I need something light, it doesn’t have to be ultra-super-duper light. I’m currently using Lenovo Thinkpad Edge 420s which weighs about 2.2 kg, and it’s fine for me.
- The Edge’s battery is pretty decent. It lasts for a few hours, and 99% of the time it’s not a problem. Of course more battery life is important, but I don’t need to pay a lot extra for that.
- Storage – SSD (or rather, are Hybrids the standard today?). I would like a decent amount of storage. I guess a hybrid with 400-500gb HDD and 100gb of SSD would be good enough.
- Memory – is 12-16gb batshit expensive, or should I go with 8gb?
- Graphics card – something decent, not uber, but decent. Can compromise on that if needed.
- Pointer device – I like the Edge’s point device, open to other models as well.
So – any suggestions for a good laptop model that fits the above requirements?
P.S I would to try and switch my primary OS from Windows to Ubuntu. I expect a huge productivity drop … which might actually make me not do the switch after all, but I’m wondering whether it’s a good strategic move on my part despite the momentary productivity loss and annoyance (FYI I’ve worked with Ubuntu for a few years as a server / terminal system, and worked with Goobuntu a bit at Google).